Sunday, November 9, 2008

Embarkation, Pt. 1


This morning was spent in a final flurry of packing and housecleaning. We finally struck out for the train station at quarter to three; missed the train we wanted to catch (due to a jacket temporarily lost by a father who shall remain nameless). Eventually got on a 4.00 train to Sydney, however.


It's a train trip I love, but don't take very often. The sections along the Hawkesbury had me gawping out the window, as usual. I wonder, is it usual to feel faintly homesick before you've even left the country? Probably just this sleepiness messing with me.

We met my uncle J at the station, and we're staying the night in the flat he's renting, in Bondi Junction. Uncle J has been living in Papua New Guinea and Nauru for the last couple of years, making friends with the locals instead of the expats, so his flat is more an anthropological museum than a dwelling.

We're nowhere near Europe yet, but already I am finding intriguing things. A handful of photos to come tomorrow, when I have light. For now, though, I leave you with a tripod-less night-view from his balcony. :)

7 comments:

Rene said...

Train rides always bring wonderment; I was intrigued every day I commuted to work when I lived in Rotterdam and worked in Amsterdam.

Safe travels and hugs to the entire family :-)

Cami said...

The homesick feeling makes sense to me, since I experienced the same thing when I left for Ukraine. I don't think it's actual homesickness, but a worry about a drastic change. Change makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

You're probably getting ready to board (or are already on) the first plane, wow! Be safe! *hugs*

amondily!

Eljen said...

@Rene: Yes! Train trips are wonderful, because you don't have to concentrate on road rules or anything - you can just stare slack-jawed out the window at the scenery. (Also, mutual hugs).

@Cami: I suspect you're right! And with any luck I'll use up all the wistfulness before we leave.
The plane doesn't leave for 6 hours or so, yet... >.>

Christof said...

...You must be in the air right now... an Eljen who is in no country at all.

I promise to keep Australian suburbia warm for you while you're away! Love, Martin

Denise said...

I'm finally catching up...and am SO looking forward to reading about your travels. Wishing you safely to your destination, and enjoyment along the various stopping points. <3

DarkerNights said...

this trip already looks promising!! :D


nice night shot
looks oxidly

Caitlin Boulter said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about that trip... I do it so often these days between Sydney and Newcastle... so often... and it always goes like this: Leave Central, fall asleep, wake up an hour later at Hawkesbury River station, stay awake for the rivery bit and go "awwwwww so pretty" and then watch a movie from Gosford to Newcastle. And then same in reverse. Forgive my belated catching-up.