Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pa (ni) cking

Two days straight of packing! But I am accomplished - look:



That's the entirety of my luggage, for three months; backpack and daypack. I can't decide whether it looks like a lot or a little. There's space left over in both packs, which was a surprise.

Packing turns out to be a sort of fine mathematical art. Strict ratios guide the proportion of underwear and socks to tops, to trousers... (in my case, about 3:2:1).

Mum's theory is that there's an inverse relationship between "time spent travelling", and "stuff taken". I'm not so sure it's that simple, myself. I took an inordinately huge amount of joy in the fact that I've found a entirely separate compartment of my pack in which to house clean underwear...!

(Too much information? Oh, I do apologise.)

The trickiest part of packing, though, is figuring out which books to take. Mum laid down the law a few days ago; we're all to take books that we can share with the rest of the family, in order to maximise space. THAT took a lot of agonising, believe me. Here's my own final selection:



1. China Mieville, Iron Council. I was going to take Meryvn Peake's Gormenghast because so many people have recommended it to me over the last few months, but I discovered at the last minute that we don't actually have a copy at home. Mieville will have to fill the delightfully-disturbingly-dark-fantasy gap.

2. Angela Carter, Wise Children. Another dark one, apparently, though I've not read her work.

3. The Bible. This is because I've been telling myself for 2 years now that "I really ought to read that, so I have a clue what people are on about". The marvellous Cami has finally held me to that thought, so the Bible's following me to Europe.

4. Tolkien, The Silmarillion. Re-reading joy! It's a family tradition that we take The Lord of the Rings travelling with us, but our old copies are falling apart. This is a compromise, but a good one... I shall be able to weep over Turin's story again. No, really - I enjoy crying over a good book! Err. Moving along...

5. Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities. I hope mum's right about me liking Dickens - she bullied me into taking this one.

6. David Eddings, Pawn of Prophecy. Not shown, but it's coming on the plane with me thanks to Pat. Halfway through, and I'm enjoying the characters.

And of course, some of the books the others are taking, that I intend to get my paws on...
- The Worst Journey In the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard
- A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush, by Eric Newby
- The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman,
by Laurence Sterne
- Three Men in a Boat
by Jerome K Jerome.

* * *

More-interesting posts to come soon. We set out for Sydney tomorrow, to stay overnight with my uncle... before flying out of the country on Monday morning.

6 comments:

DarkerNights said...

awesome.


that's a sweet pack you got there

Rene said...

Not to worry you too much, but it's gonna be interesting finding places where to do laundry. Laundromats are a thing of the past in most of Europe and of course (good) hotels offer laundry service but against a hefty price.
Your mum be on to something with her inverted travel relationship, however, when I travel for a long time I tend to leave with a big load of clothes that I won't be using anymore after I wear it :-)

I just hope that you won't be too absorbed by reading if you travel from place to place, because then you'd miss out on sights and whatnot :P

Two days, woohoo!

Eljen said...

@DN: 'Tis a handy one. Ought to be good for hiking as well, someday. :)

@Rene: Aaaargh! *Laughing*... No offense meant, but I DO hope you're wrong about the laundromats. Otherwise we're going to have to choose between being horribly smelly, or going naked through the streets. >.>

The reading is for plane trips, and nighttime train trips, and any other time where I don't want to twiddle my thumbs.

Rene said...

Then for your sake I hope I'm wrong too *nods*

Cami said...

Kudos to Patty for getting you to take Pawn of Prophecy! I love that book series. *grin* I imagine you're off now...

*jealous*jealous*jealous*jealous*

<3

Caitlin Boulter said...

Is Pawn of Prophecy the Belgariad? I think it is. I read that series at the beginning of the year, Cam Hollows' girlfriend lent it to me.

Our family took pretty much a whole other suitcase devoted to books, if I remember aright...

Also, despite what Mr Wirtz says says (sorry Rene :P) we had no trouble finding places to do our laundry, except in Roquefort-les-Pins in the south of France... we had to go into Grasse, all of 30 minutes away. Very taxing. Really ;) you'll be ok.