Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Interlude

Contrary to popular belief, I have not died. However, internet access is scant in the north of England (especially in frilly bed and breakfast places, where Yorkshiremen look at you in surprised disbelief when you ask about wireless).

So mum, Pip and I are currently seated in the Central library in Sheffield, on Industrial Revolution era computers (Although they say Windows 2000, I think they actually run on cogs, behind their cases)... a n d t y p i n g v e r y s l o w l y. It's the only way they'll let us.

Still, apparently wireless will be much easier to find on "the continent"... and I'm diligently keeping my hardcopy journal up-to-date, and taking lots of pictures. So you'll just get a whole rush of entries at once, when I get a chance to type them up. That'll cover York, Lincoln, Sheffield... and probably parts of Ireland when I next post (we set out there tomorrow).

Farewell for now! Keep the interwebs warm for me. :P

10 comments:

Rene said...

I would have thought that wireless interwebs access would be easier in the UK, actually ... but maybe that is restricted to the cities.

Say hello to Ireland for me, since I am banned from Dublin *grin*

And did you find any laundromats?

Cami said...

Oh, Ireland! *squee*!

Sounds like you're having fun up there: no wireless, and lotsa rain and cold. I do hope you'd expected (and prepared for) the wintery weather!

<3

Caitlin Boulter said...

YAY she's alive!

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures... I have to say I think it is easier in continental Europe (in the cities at least) to find plenty of internet cafes. We, for some bizarre reason, had a lot of trouble in Rome. Mum on the other hand didn't know what our problem was and managed to find plenty a few years earlier. Guess it's all about where you are...

Denise said...

Yiiiiikes....I'd be suffering shuddering withdrawals like a mofo.

Hopefully the net access improves beyond the level of cogs soonish. <3

*wonders now about Rene's Dublin ban*

Rene said...

I had too good a time in Dublin and therefore am not allowed there anymore to prevent a similar fallout to happen ...

musicalemotion said...

*snuggles, hammers away at the communications thing* <3

Eljen said...

@Rene: Yes, we found laundromats (though we need to find another one, SOON). Your Dublin ban has me totally intrigued - of all places to have "to good a time", surely this would be one of the places you'd have to try really extra hard?!

@Cami: (*hugs*!) The weather so far hasn't been to bad - it's only drizzled on us so far, and not a day of real rain.

@C-turtle: Yes, it'll be interesting to see how we go. I'm hoping for wireless access more often than internet cafes, but I don't like my chances all that much. Also, thankyou so much for the Paris email!!

Cami said...

*hugs back*! :]

Rain? You're prepared for snow, I hope!

Loz said...

Eljen it's December where are you?????

Eljen said...

Loz? Hmmm... as in... "Loz of the Library"?! Hello!

I'm in London now, just trying to catch up with all entries I haven't typed. Hope you (and the others at work) are all well... :)